December is here, which means it’s officially time to begin the countdown to the Holidays! It’s the perfect time of year to cozy up on the couch with a big bowl of popcorn for a family movie night.
While it can sometimes be hard to find movies both you and your children will enjoy, holiday-themed movies seem to be the exception to the rule. Check out our list of must-see movies this month, including some classic stories you will recognize, and new favourites for the whole family to love.
Must-see family holiday themed movies:
- Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas – Though the original animated feature from 1966 is a must-watch, the live-action adaptation released in 2000 takes this tale to a whole new level. Watch and laugh along as the reclusive Grinch decides to hitch a plan to ruin Christmas for the happy citizens of Whoville.
- The Santa Clause – This film will have the whole family believing in the magic, elves, and all things Santa! See what fun unfolds as divorced Dad Scott puts on a Santa suit, and assumes all the responsibilities that go along with it! The best part is, if your children love this movie, there is a Santa Clause 2 & 3 to watch as well.
- Frosty the Snowman – A timeless classic, this story follows along a snowman brought to life by a discarded magic top hat. All is jolly with Frosty and friends, until the magician wants his hat back and warm weather is on the horizon! Follow along as Frosty’s friends help him travel up to the North Pole, and even enjoy singing along with Frosty on his adventures.
- Home Alone – This is one movie that will have you laughing from beginning to end. When bratty Kevin McCallister gets left home alone as his family departs to Paris, Kevin thinks this is his Holiday wish come true! That is, until it’s up to 8-year-old Kevin to protect his family home. Your children will love all the tricks Kevin plays, and you will love the endless lengths his Mother goes through to get home.
- Elf – This movie is definitely not your classic holiday tale, but will sure be a new family favourite. As a toddler, Buddy was accidentally transported to the North Pole, where he was raised among Santa’s elves. As an adult, Buddy travels to New York to find his real father, with chaotic results. Buddy will have you laughing and singing, as his infectious love for the holidays spreads to everyone he meets.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – Originally aired in 1964, this stop-motion picture is so well-loved it plays several times during the holiday season. This story not only follows along with Rudolph, but a shy elf named Hermey and a cheerful prospector named Yukon Cornelius. Your children will be sure to love this classic as much as you do!
Do you have a favourite holiday-themed movie you will be watching with your family this year? Please, share with us in the comments below!