Are you expecting a child in the coming year? Finding the right name for your child can be a tough task, but discovering the right one can be incredibly rewarding. While names like Olivia, Liam, Aiden, and Sophia have been popular for years, there are new trends that are starting to emerge in the world of baby naming. Naming conventions are both cyclical and cultural; they can be a reflection of a variety of different societal factors and influences which can help us predict which ones could fall into a more common usage in the future.
To help you get a better idea of which names might be up next, we’ve analyzed the trends to determine which ones are on the rise. Let’s take a quick look at which names could see a surge in popularity over the next year
Most Popular Baby Names For Boys In 2016
While many of the most popular names from years past will continue to see strong use, here are our best bets for boys’ names in 2016:
- Josiah: More unique classical names from the ancient world have seen a rise in recent years and we think this trend will continue with names like Josiah climbing the charts.
- Atticus: To Kill A Mockingbird has been a longstanding stalwart of English literature and we think Harper Lee’s re-emergence over the past year will also breathe new life into this solid boys’ name.
- Luke: It’s no secret that the world has Star Wars fever right now and we think that will make 2016 a big year for Luke. Definitely better than Jabba or Chewbacca.
- Ignatius: While Ignatius may seem like a mouthful, Iggy is a cute, easy, and memorable nickname that will definitely stick around.
- Montgomery: This Victorian favourite may conjure up images of The Simpsons’ C. Montgomery Burns, but we think it will definitely carve out a unique identity of its own in the near future.
Most Popular Baby Names For Girls In 2016
Names like Emily and Madison have been top picks for years, but we think the coming year might see some different contenders on the list. Here are our top choices for girls’ names in 2016:
- Adelaide: This gorgeous name has its roots in old forms of German, but has seen a massive upswing recently.
- Judith: While Judith may seem old fashioned to many parents nowadays, it will definitely become a flagship name of the next generation.
- Rosemary: Spices and flowers have long been used as inspiration for children’s names, so you should definitely expect to see more and more of Rosemary in the next few years.
- Valencia: Yes, the Instagram generation is finally here. Valencia is a beautiful name that extends far back before photo filters (or photography) even existed.
- Isabella: Isabel has topped the charts for years and this great, Spanish-influenced version will definitely be a go-to choice for years to come.
What were your favourite baby names this year? Did we miss any good ones for 2016? Let us know in the comments below!