During the cold and gloomy winter months, it can often be difficult to find activities that will keep your children happy and engaged while encouraging physical activity. In this blog, we have highlighted some indoor activities that will get your children moving during those inclement weather days, and some outdoor activities that are perfect for the days that it is warm enough to venture outside. Given that we have centres in a few different communities, we will be uploading these blogs by region. This blog will highlight some activities for our York families!
1. Legoland Discovery Centre Toronto
- Who: Legoland has wonderfully immersive children’s activities for preschool age and up.
- What: See your preschoolers imagine, create and explore whole new worlds with oversize LEGO® bricks designed to fit perfectly in small hands. We believe that playing is the best way to learn for preschoolers and LEGOLAND® Discovery Centres are the ultimate LEGO classroom.
- After completing the NEW LEGO Education workshops, children can put their newfound knowledge into action around the center using the specially developed, unique worksheets and resources available for download.
- Tip: if you purchase online at least 24 hours in advance tickets are cheaper than purchasing at the door and mall parking is free!
- Monday – Saturday: 10am – 8pm (last entry 6pm)
- Sunday: 10am – 7pm (last entry 5pm)
- 1 Bass Pro Mills Drive, Vaughan ON L4K 5W4
2. Planet Play
- What: Orion’s Playground is a unique and innovative indoor play structure and family entertainment centre in Vaughan, Ontario where activities have children play to learn!
- Who: Perfect for children toddler age and up!
- Where: 2501 Unit 30 Rutherford Rd, Vaughan, ON L4K 2N6
- Monday to Thursday: 10am to 9pm
- Friday & Saturday: 10am to 10pm
- Sunday: 10am – 8pm
3. Newmarket Outdoor Skating Rink
- What: Free outdoor ice skating rink! Newmarket park has various family-friendly activities all year round. Right now, the ice skating rink is open and ready for families to enjoy.
- Who: The age that you take your child skating is up to your personal discretion. As long as they have the ankle strength and the appropriate support, it is a personal decision.
- Where: 200 Doug Duncan Drive, Newmarket ON L3Y 3Y9
- Runs from December through to March
- Monday to Sunday 9am – 10pm (weather permitting)
- What: Although we have already suggested a skating rink, this one is a bit different. You can skate through a 250 m beautiful natural scenery!
- Trail through 250 m of natural space
- Light for evening skating
- Heated washroom and change room
- Who: Once again, this is up to your personal discretion but given the length of the trail, we would recommend for JK/SK age and up. If you want to bring along your baby or toddler for the view, you can carry them along with you in something like this!
- Where: 1300 Elgin Mills Road East, Richmond Hill, ON L4S 1M5
- When: Open December through to March from 10am to 10pm
- Tip: if you’re unsure of weather conditions, call ahead at 905-771-5490
5. Reptilia Zoo & Educational Facility
- What: Experience the entire world of reptiles at one of our CAZA-Accredited Facilities! In one day you’ll travel through jungles, deserts and even the wilds of Canada itself to meet some of the Earth’s most elusive and mysterious residents! Facilities are a self-guided experience. You’ll find over 250 animals on display throughout the zoo. Although reptiles are our specialty, watch out for colorful amphibians and fluffy arachnids as well!
- Free live theatre shows
- Zoo keeper tours and a chance to interact with the reptiles and the Zoo Cast
- Seasonal camps for children ages 5 – 12
- Junior Keeper Program for children age 7 – 14
- Who: Toddler age and up will be able to enjoy the children’s activities!
- When: Daily 10am – 6pm
- Where: 2501 Rutherford Road, Vaughan, ON L4K 2N6
- Note: 75% of animals are saved and rescued, 10% born at reptilia, 15% from other zoos. I feel this is important to note as many zoos are not ethical in their acquisition of animals and that is not something that Childventures would support. If you have any concerns or questions, check out their ‘Commitment & Animal Stewardship Promise’
6. Cub Club Snowboarding Lessons at the ROC
- What: Snowboarding lessons! Participants will be provided with a helmet, boots, bindings and a snowboard for the duration of the lesson. Lessons will focus on a variety of different skills including how to put on equipment, proper stance, balance, pressure, rotation, how to ride around objects and of course FUN! Parent participation is required and parents must complete equipment rental form and Snowboard Ontario Waiver.
- Who: Children up to 6 years old
- When: *all dependent on weather conditions
- Wednesday to Friday: 4:30pm to 9pm
- Saturday: 10am to 9pm
- Sunday: 10am to 6pm
- Where: 26479 Civic Centre Road, Keswick L4P 3E9
- Note: Here is a pamphlet of FAQ’s
- What: Vaughan’s 31st Annual Winterfest Event
- Free fun-filled first-class entertainment
- Indoor & outdoor activities
- Meet & greets
- Free pancake breakfast
- Face painting
- Horse-drawn carriage rides and so much more!
- When: Sunday, February 9, 2020, 10am – 3:30pm
- Who: All ages!
- Where: Vellore Village: 1 Villa Royale Avenue, Woodbridge ON
- See some photos from last year on their Facebook page here!
8. See a show!
- What: The Addams Family the Musical: A comical feast that embraces the wackiness in every family and being your own unique person. In this brand new story, Wednesday Addams, the ultimate princess of darkness, has grown up and fallen in love with a sweet, smart young man from a respectable family – a man her parents have never met.
- When: February 21st – February 23rd 2020
- Where: 1000 New Westminster Drive, Vaughan, Ontario L4J 8G3
- Who: All ages, attention span of 2 hours recommended!
- What: Kids Fest Toronto features the largest indoor inflatable roadshow for kids with over 30 inflatable rides and attractions inside 80,000 square feet at The International Centre, Mississauga. The inflatables range from large slides for the big kids to toddler-approved gentle rides.
- Bouncy fun
- Entertaining shows
- Interactive activities
- Crafts and more.
- Who: Children 12 years old and under!
- When: Saturday February 15 2020 – February 17 2020
- Where: Hall 6, International Centre. 6900 Airport Rd.,Mississauga
10. Parent Pampering: Sanctuary Day Spa
- So this one isn’t technically a winter activity for children BUT there must be a study somewhere that shows a parent that’s had a massage in the last year is more effective … .right?
- What: Sanctuary Day Spas has provided elegant retreats for women and men seeking to bring harmony and well-being to their busy lives through relaxation and renewal.Take care of you. Make time to relax your body and mind, reduce muscle fatigue and restore vital energy with a therapeutic or relaxation massage.
- Who: Busy parents
- Where: 2701 Rutherford Road, Unit A & C , Vaughan, Ontario, L4K 2N6 & 57 Main Street South, Newmarket, Ontario, L3Y 3Y5
- Monday to Friday 9:00am – 9:00pm
- Saturday 9:00am – 6:00pm
- Sunday 9:00am – 5:00pm
All of these activities (except for #10) are child friendly and come highly recommended by various sources in the community. If you have tried any of these places before or plan to in the future, please let us know!