Summer is practically here! The warm weather is creeping in and you can’t help but want to be outdoors. From going to the park or exploring in the forest, there’s one crucial activity that defines any summer – visiting the beach! While a beach day can be one of the most relaxing ways to spend a summer weekend, it can also be stressful. Keeping your child safe around the water, packing all the necessities and bringing back minimal sand in your belongings are all concerns. Here are some handy tips and tricks to keep in mind when visiting the beach to ensure that everyone is happy!
What to Pack
So you’ve decided to have a beach day. The key to any successful day spent at the beach is ensuring that you’ve packed all the essentials to keep everyone hydrated, protected from the sun, full and, most importantly, having fun! Here are some of the items that we deem essential for a successful beach day.
The ‘must have’ items are:
- Insulated Water Bottles + Water
- Towels (One Per Person)
- Wet Wipes
- Baby Powder
- Beach Blanket
- Plastic Bags for Wet Items
Now that you’re aware of the essentials, here are a few unconventional items that can come in handy during your beach day!
- Ziploc Bags – when it comes to packing snacks and ensuring leftovers are easy stored, Ziploc Baggies are perfect. Additionally, any beach souvenirs your little ones want to take home can be easy stored away until you’re home. Great for transporting shells, interesting rocks and other little treasures!
- Long Sleeve Clothing – if you’re visiting the beach on the cusp of summer or later in the day long sleeve clothing is a must. It’s important to remember that the breeze off the water is a lot chillier than inland. As the sun sets especially, the temperature will drop and you and you children will be happy you brought along hoodies or long sleeved shirts!
- First Aid – though this may seem obvious to some it can often go overlooked when packing a beach bag. There are plenty of sharp rocks and other potential hazardous items on the beach and it’s never a bad idea to have some bandages, rubbing alcohol or polysporin at hand!
- Waterproof Speakers – who doesn’t love to have some tunes on the beach? Either waterproof speakers or an inexpensive water-resistant radio are the perfect beach companion.
- Swim Diapers – typical diapers get puffy and soggy when wet. That’s where swim diapers come in. Swim diapers on the other hand are light and comfy. These diapers come in both cloth and disposable.
- Beach Tent – A beach tent can be the perfect multi-purpose beach item. It provides shade, freedom from sand and even some privacy.
Now that you’re all packed its time to hit the beach! Once you’re at the beach there are a plethora of things to keep in mind to ensure that everyone stays happy and healthy. Let’s take a look at some of the best ways to have a safe and fun beach day now that you’re well equipped for the day.
- Location, Location, Location – choosing your spot at the beach is one of the most important parts of your beach day experience. You want to ensure that you choose a spot that gives you ample room to spread out. At the same time you need to be respectful of other people’s space and not crowding them.
- Reapply – while applying sunscreen before you leave the house is super important, so is ensuring you re-apply it. You should reapply sunscreen every 80 min or so. Another suggestion? Try to spray into the wind to avoid the spray flying back into your face.
- Patience – if this is your child’s first time at the beach ever or just of the season, it’s important to be patient. A new place can be awkward and overwhelming for children. Do your best to go with the flow and be flexible with your normal routine and schedule.
Where To Go?
Are you looking to hit the beach this summer but are unsure where to go? Here are some great options in the GTA to check out!
- Bluffer’s Beach
- Sugar Beach
- Sunnyside Beach
- Woodbine Beach
- Cherry Beach
With these helpful tips you’re all set to hit the beach in style! Enjoy a day of sun and fun while being fully prepared for anything the beach can throw your way. To learn more about Childventures and how we help prepare your children for all their upcoming learning and adventures in life, click here.